Recipe by Lvs2Cook
I love lemon! This cake is best if chilled for a few hours before serving.
Top Review by C_G_Clayton
Loved this! The texture of the cake was very good, as was the lemon flavor. I did not use the lemon curd filling and I used a lemon buttercream frosting instead. Would definitely make again!
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (10 ounce) jar lemon curd
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, and grated lemon zest with an electric mixer in separate mixing bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat eggs in 1 at a time, thoroughly.
- With electric mixer on low, add flour mixture in thirds, alternating with buttermilk.
- Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between 2 buttered and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cakes are golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Removed cooled layers from pans.
- Cut layers in half horizontally with a serrated knife.
- Spread lemon curd evenly between the layers and stack on serving plate.
- Whip cream and confectioner's sugar together.
- Frost sides and top with whipped cream.
- Cover top and sides with sliced almonds, if desired.