1/2 Photos of Lemon Layer Cake With Lemon Curd and Mascarpone
48 hrs 25 mins
I've made this cake several times, most recently for my MIL's birthday. It was adored. It looks like it takes much longer than it does to assemble, although I did make the cake layers and curd a day in advance so that the day of assembly would be less stressful and time consuming. This is impressive and beautiful. IHHDRO
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 14 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour (sifted, then measured)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Filling and frosting
- 1You'll need a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip to create the decorative rosettes.
- 2Begin making this cake two days before you plan to serve it.
- 3For lemon curd: Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium metal bowl.
- 4Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water). Whisk constantly until thickened and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 160°F, about 10 minutes.
- 5Remove bowl from over water. Add butter; whisk until melted.
- 6Transfer 2 cups curd to small bowl for spreading on cake layers. Reserve remaining curd for filling.
- 7Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of both curds. Chill overnight. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep chilled).
- 8For cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F.
- 9Line bottom of two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides with parchment paper (do not grease pans or parchment).
- 10Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 7 tablespoons sugar in large bowl until mixture is very thick and slowly dissolving ribbons form when beaters are lifted, about 4 minutes.
- 11Using clean dry beaters, beat whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form.
- 12Add remaining 7 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff and glossy.
- 13Fold half of whites into yolk mixture, then sift half of flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt over and gently fold in until incorporated.
- 14Fold in remaining whites, then sift remaining flour over and fold in just until combined, being careful not to deflate batter.
- 15Divide batter between pans; smooth tops.
- 16Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- 17Cool in pans on racks.
- 18Run knife around edge of pans to loosen cakes.
- 19Invert cakes onto 9-inch-diameter cardboard rounds, tapping on work surface if necessary to release cakes.
- 20Cut each cake horizontally in half (layers will be thin). Peel off parchment.
- 21For syrup: Place sugar in small metal bowl. Add 1/2 cup boiling water; stir to dissolve sugar. Stir in lemon juice.
- 22For filling and frosting: Beat whipping cream and sugar in large bowl until peaks form.
- 23Add mascarpone to lemon curd in medium bowl; whisk until blended.
- 24Fold whipped cream into lemon-mascarpone mixture.
- 25Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter.
- 26Brush with 1/2 of syrup.
- 27Spread 1/2 cup lemon curd over, then 1 cup lemon-mascarpone filling.
- 28Top with second cake layer; brush with 1/2 of syrup and spread with 1/2 cup lemon curd and 1 cup lemon-mascarpone filling.
- 29Repeat with third cake layer, syrup, lemon curd, and filling.
- 30Top with fourth cake layer.
- 31Brush with remaining syrup, then spread remaining lemon curd over.
- 32Spoon 2 cups lemon-mascarpone filling into pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip (to be used for rosettes).
- 33Spread remaining lemon-mascarpone filling as a frosting over sides of cake.
- 34Pipe small rosettes of frosting over top of cake, covering completely.
- 35Cover cake with cake dome; refrigerate at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Layer Cake With Lemon Curd and Mascarpone
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 518.9
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 275.5 mg
- Sodium 167.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: