I like to use star cutters for these..but any shape would do..adapted from Elinor Klivans..recipes..Big Fat Cookies. the lemon zest is outstanding in this recipe both in the cookie and the filling
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole blanched almond, toasted, ground
- 1to prepare the cookies:.
- 2sift dry ingredients into a medium bowl and set aside.
- 3in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed.beat the butter and powdered sugar till smooth -- about 1 minute.
- 4stop and scrape down sides of bowl as needed during mixing --.
- 5on low speed, mix in dry ingredients and the dough holds together and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- 6divide the dough in half and form into two 6" discs -- wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough until cold -- at least 45 minutes.
- 7preheat the oven to 325*.
- 8Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly spray with non stick spray.
- 9unwrap one piece of dough.lightly flour the rolling surface and rolling pin.roll the dough into a rectangle 12x8".and 1/4" thick.
- 10slide a butter knife under it to loosen it from the rolling surface.
- 11use a cookie cutter to cut out 3 1/2" circles or any shape you prefer --.
- 12set dough scraps aswide.
- 13place dough with help of thin metal spatula.cake frosting utensil works great here.
- 141" apart on prepared sheets -- they do not spread very much -- Repeat the rolling and cutting process with the second piece of dough. gather together all of the dough scraps, forming a smooth dish.repeat the rolling and cutting process.you will have 18 cookies when finished.
- 15cut about 1" circle, or other shape from the center of half of the cookies.and remove these from the cookies -- you can bake these for snacks.
- 16bake the cookies one sheet at a time until edges are light broqwn and tops are firm.about 20 minutes.
- 17cool for 3 minutes on the sheets before transfering them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 18to prepare the FILLING:.
- 19in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon zest till smooth.
- 20turn the cookies without the holes, bottom side up.leave just 1/8" plain edge, spread about 1 tblspoon filling on each one.
- 21place the bottoms of the cookies with the holes on top of the filling.
- 22Cookie sandwiches can be wrapped individually in plastic wrap and stored in a tightly covered container in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- 23bring to room temperature before serving to enhance lemon flavors.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Ginger Sandwich Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1073 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.2
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 81.3 mg
- Sodium 210.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 33.6 g
- Protein 6.8 g