Recipe by Eat Your Vegetables!
This recipe is so simple I almost decided not to post it, but it's definitely my go-to side dish when I want fast, delicious greens. I like to use collard greens and kale in this, but you could also use just one or the other or mustard greens & chard as well (I wouldn't recommend spinach for this because it will cook down too much). I also like this with red wine vinegar and liquid smoke in place of the lemon juice. Be careful not to add freshly washed (still wet) greens to hot oil -- you'll get fireworks.
Top Review by Aisha al Saieed
Just made a mini-batch of this for lunch. Mustard greens and garlic and oil in a microwave safe bowl, heated until frozen mustard greens were thawed and hot, added some lemon juice, heated for a minute or so more. Delicious single serving size. Would be even better if I made it with fresh ingredients. Thanks!
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 5 c chopped)
- 1 bunch kale (about 5 c chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Roughly chop the greens and wash them thoroughly.
- To a large saucepan or Dutch oven add the olive oil, garlic and as much of the greens as will fit (you may need to let the first batch cook down a little to fit the rest of the greens in the pan).
- Once all of the greens are in the pan, cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until greens are tender, tossing frequently.
- Once the greens are softened and slightly browned, add the lemon juice and saute an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve warm.