Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
Got this from the "Better Homes and Gardens 2002 Annual Recipes, October" collection. I haven't tried it but it sounds absolutely fabulous!!!
- 4 3⁄4-5 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple pie spice or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- In a 6 qt heavy kettle or Dutch oven combine apples, water, brown sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice and apple pie spice or cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until the apples are very soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla. Mash mixture lightly with the back of a large wooden spoon.
- Serve warm or cover and chill before serving.
This is a good applesauce. But the taste is too lemony. I had to add more sugar. Next time I'll use less water. Thanks Purplefiend :) Made for Bargain basement tag game