Recipe by mersaydees
From The Western Junior League Cookbook, copy write 1979, attributed to the Junior League of Boise, Idaho. The Basque often add peeled, quartered potatoes during the last 45 minutes of cooking. Most of the cook time you’re sitting back drinking Sangria!
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 1⁄2 lbs leg of lamb
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb boiling potato, peeled and quartered (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Make slits all over lamb plentiful and deep enough to insert garlic clove slices then insert them. Season entire leg with salt and pepper, and rub with flour. Place in roasting pan and pour over melted bacon drippings. Roast in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes on each side. Add water to pan, cover, reduce heat to 300°F, and cook slowly for 4-5 hours. Roast will be well done.
- The Basque often add peeled, quartered potatoes during the last 45 minutes of cooking.