Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooked yogurt is used in Lebanese cooking much the same as we use sour cream in the western world. If you can get goat's milk yogurt it is the best.
- 2 cups plain yogurt (cannot have gelatin in it)
- 1 egg white, beaten until frothy
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place yogurt in a heavy saucepan.
- Blend beaten egg white into the yogurt.
- Add cornstartch& salt.
- Stir in the same direction until well blended.
- Place pan over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Heat until it starts to boil, always stir in the same direction (this is important).
- Lower heat and let it simmer 3-5 minutes until thick.
- Use as required in recipes (Laba Bil Bayd-Eggs in yogurt is one recipe that calls for it- see separate posting).
Great recipe..really enjoyed it. I added water to it though, to make it a bit thinner. Thanks
I love this cooked yogurt! Unfortunately, I haven't made it with the eggs for which the recipe was originally intended (sorry!), but it has worked well with other dishes as sauce, like chicken and even chard! I added garlic and herbs in the yogurt to give it more flavor.