1/3 Photos of Lazy Carbonara Penne for a Crowd - Sacbee 11/5/08
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 50 mins
Chef TraceyMae's Note:
This rich lasagna is the perfect comfort food. It makes a great make-ahead dish, perfect for a large holiday gathering. From "The New Lasagna Cookbook."
My Private Note
LARGE D ...
Units: US | Metric
10 cups bechamel sauce made with
- 2 lbs pancetta, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 16 cups penne pasta, slightly undercooked and drained
- 1Prepare Bechamel Sauce:.
- 2In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- 3Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil.
- 5Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil.
- 6Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Season with salt and nutmeg, and set aside until ready to use.
- 7Prepare filling:.
- 8In a medium skillet, cook the pancetta. Add garlic. Add wine and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and salt and pepper.
- 9Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 18-by-13 1/2-by-3-inch baking dish. Spread a layer of béchamel sauce on the bottom of the dish. Add half the pasta to the pan. Top with half the remaining sauce and half the pancetta mixture.
- 10Sprinkle with half of the Parmesan and pecorino. Top with remaining pasta.
- 11Top with remaining pancetta mixture, sauce and cheeses. (Can be prepared one day in advance. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let lasagna come to room temperature before baking.).
- 12Cover with foil and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- 13SMALLER VERSION (serves 6 to 8).
- 154 cups béchamel sauce (see recipe).
- 181/2 pound pancetta, diced.
- 192 garlic gloves, minced.
- 201/2 cup white wine.
- 211/4 cup chopped parsley.
- 221/2 cup grated Parmesan.
- 231/2 cup grated pecorino Romano.
- 24Salt and pepper.
- 261 pound penne, slightly undercooked and drained.
- 28Follow same directions as for larger version, except use a 13-by-9-by-3-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 29Decrease baking time to 20 to 30 minutes, covered with foil, and an additional 10 to 15 minutes uncovered. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- 30Per serving based on 25: 508 cal.; 32 g pro.; 55 g carb.; 16 g fat (9 sat., 5 monounsat., 2 polyunsat.); 58 mg chol.; 847 mg sod.; 2 g fiber; 8 g sugar; 29 percent calories from fat.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lazy Carbonara Penne for a Crowd - Sacbee 11/5/08
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.5
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 53.2 mg
- Sodium 960.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese