Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
Can be made in Bread Machine. Use dough cycle.
Top Review by Katzen
Great recipe - I find that homemade flatbreads like this one taste so superior to store bought flatbreads, and the chewy yet crispy texture is wonderful. I really liked that this recipe used half whole wheat flour, too. Thanks, Lorrie! Made for 1-2-3 Hits.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt (if you don't want to add this sub. Water for it)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (can use any combo of flour you want)
- toasted sesame seeds or poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in large bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Add salt and yogurt.
- Combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours and add enough to mixture to make stiff dough.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Shape into ball.
- Place in greased bowl and turn to grease top.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and let rise again until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each out on lightly floured surface to very thin circle about 9 inches in diameter. (also can just make one big sheet of lavash).
- Brush a bit of olive oil over the tops and then sprinkle with any seed.
- Put on baking sheet .
- Bake at 400F 5 to 6 minutes, or until bread appears dry, lightly browned and blistered!
- Its done!