Recipe by Miss Fannie
FROM LAOS FOOD: SEARCHING FOR A LOST CUISINE PUBLISHED FEBRUARY 2011. It was originally contributed by Sebastian Rubis.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
My last tagged recipe for ZWT 9 and I think my favorite one! I used a bunch of vegetables from our weekly CSA box: lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes as well as fresh cilantro and basil also from the box. The dressing is worth five stars on its own (local honey, too!). The only thing I would do differently next time is to not toss any of the vegetables with the dressing and only add the dressing just before serving. For me, it has a better presentation that way. The salad was our main dish and was accompanied by freshly steamed bi-color corn on the cob and a platter of watermelon. Made for ZWT 9 and enjoyed immensely! Thanks for posting.
- 1 large hard-cooked egg, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 packed cups mesclun (4 ounces)
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems discarded (6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the egg yolk from the white. Thinly slice the white. Put the egg yolk in a blender, add the vinegar and honey and blend until smooth. With the blender on, slowly pour in the 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Add the shallot rings and fry over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the shallot rings to paper towels to drain. Add the garlic to the hot oil and fry, stirring a few times, until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer the garlic to the paper towels.
- In a large bowl, drizzle the tomato and cucumber slices with 1 tablespoon of the dressing and toss gently. Arrange the slices around a platter. Add the mesclun, watercress and sliced egg white to the bowl, top with the remaining dressing and toss well. Mound the salad on the platter, garnish with the peanuts and the fried shallot and garlic and serve.
- MAKE AHEAD The dressing can be refrigerated overnight. The fried shallot and garlic can be kept overnight at room temperature.