1/2 Photos of Lamb Shanks With Verjuice
3 hrs 40 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
I just love lamb shanks and am hoping to try this soon before lamb goes up to much in price. The recipe is from our state daily paper The West Australian. Verjuice is made from white grapes, so at a pinch you could use a dry white wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- sea salt
- pepper (freshly ground)
- 10 rosemary sprigs
- 1 head garlic (large, each clove peeled and 3 minced)
- 1 preserved lemon (whole, rinsed)
- 2 cups verjuice (500ml)
- 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable)
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns (whole, cracked)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C.
- 2On the stove heat the oil in a large casserole dish (that is ovenproof).
- 3Season the lamb shanks with the sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 4Add 3 shanks to the casserole dish and cook over moderate heat until browned all over (about 8 minutes), rest to one side.
- 5Add the remaining 3 shanks and the rosemary to the casserole dish and cook until browned and then add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- 6Remove from the heat and return the first 3 shanks to the casserole dish or pot.
- 7Remove the pulp from the lemon and cut the lemon rind into 8 pieces and add the the lamb along with the verjuice, stock, garlic cloves, bay leaves, cracked peppercorns and salt.
- 8Bring to the boil and cover tightly and braise in the oven for 3 hours or until the meat is tender, turn the shanks occasionally.
- 9Transfer the lamb to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- 10Discard the rosemary stems and bay leaves and skim as much fat as possible from the sauce in the casserole dish.
- 11Return the shanks to the sauce and cook over moderate heat until warm.
- 12Spoon into bowls and serve.
- 13I would serve with mashed potato and steamed vegetable.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks With Verjuice
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.7
- Calories from Fat 346
- Total Fat 38.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 243.3 mg
- Sodium 621.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 72.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: