Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
My husband loves lamb shanks- basically anyway that they can be cooked. To make this dish gluten free, substitute the pearl barley for split peas or lentils. Serve garnished with chopped parsley and some crusty bread or cornbread on the side. A protein packed meal in a bowl. This can be finely processed for babies and frozen in serving sizes.
- Trim any excess fat from the lamb shanks. Place into a large saucepan or boiler. Along with the water/stock and salt.
- Bring slowly to the boil and simmer gentley for 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim/remove any excess fat from the top of the stock with a spoon and/pr paper towel.
- Return the stock to the stove and add all remaining ingredients. Simmer for another 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the meat from the bones and chop into chunky pieces. Return meat to the stock and discard the bones.
- Reheat to serve. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley or a sprig of parsley as garnish.
- This can be finely processed for babies and frozen in serving sizes.
Really tasty and substantial soup that made an ideal winter dinner. I used the beef stock option which I thought might have been a bit strong for the lamb but the flavours worked really well together.