Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A nice side dish from New Zealand.
- 2 large kumara, peeled and chopped (sweet potatoes)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- Boil the kumara in salted water until tender, then drain well.
- Mash with the ginger, brown sugar and butter.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately, or keep warm until serving.
I love sweet potatoes, and love them with brown sugar. This is my first time to add ginger, and it will not be my last. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe. Made for ZWT8.
Absolutely delicious! I would never think to add ginger to this and it's a perfect compliment. I cut back on the butter and brown sugar but they were also very good in this. I would definitely make this again! Made for ZWT8. Thanks Mikekey! :)
Simple yet restaurant quality. And it can be made ahead and frozen - SCORE. I used 1 yam and about a 1/2 lb of butternut squash. Super easy and the ginger is so fun in these potatoes. I think you could easily make these non-fat by using a little starch water instead of butter. I made mine vegan with Earth Balance. Good stuff - thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8 for Team Jammin Jazzberries for AUS/NZ