Recipe by love4culinary
I got this recipe from my MIL. They are tasty treats commonly given out or sold during the christmas season in India :)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 drops vanilla essence
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- For frying the kul-kuls you need a deep frying pan and Cooking Oil about 2" depth in the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and powdered sugar and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, butter.
- In a measuring cup measure your milk and add vanilla.
- Mix the butter and egg well into the flour (so it becomes nice and crumbly).
- Add the milk mixture a little at a time and knead well.
- The dough has to be nice and pliable.
- If too dry add more milk or if it is too sticky adjust by adding flour.
- Keep the dough covered tso hat it does not dry.
- Take a little at a time (about the size of a ping pong ball) roll it like a rope 1/2 inch in diameter and then make into small balls.
- Flatten these balls either on a comb or a fork and then roll along the bake of your fork to make shapes as shown in the photograph (a spiral type effect.
- Put these onto plates or trays.
- Heat the oil on a medium setting (do not overheat).
- Put about a handful of the kul-kuls into the hot oil and fry stirring with a spatula (used for deep frying) til golden (light) brown (till crisp).
- Reduce heat and remove.
- Continue frying the rest in the same manner. (Sometimes while frying the kul-kuls the oil starts to froth if so just reduce the heat slightly and keep stirring all the time).
- I usually put the fried kul-kuls in a bowl lined with paper towels to allow them to drain.
- Once these are cooled they can be coated with a sugar coating, but they taste best without in my opinon!
- If you want to know how to coat them with a sugar coating, please contact me :).
- If you have any questions feel free to Zmail me or find me on the boards!