1/1 Photo of Krautwickel: German Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
1 hr 30 mins
Krautwickel, stuffed cabbage leaves, is another popular dish in Bavaria. Cabbage leaves filled with a mixture of chopped cabbage, ground meat, eggs, onion and spices and simmered in soup stock.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash cabbage and cut out center stem.
- 2Put about 2 inches of water in a cooking pot and some salt.
- 3Put cabbage head upright in water, cover and steam.
- 4As the outer leaves become tender, remove cabbage from pot and peel off the tender leaves.
- 5Set leaves aside to drain.
- 6Return cabbage to pot and repeat until all the leaves are removed.
- 7Make six piles of two to three of the large outside cabbage leaves.
- 8Finely dice the remaining smaller cabbage leaves from the heart.
- 9This should give about two cups.
- 10Finely dice the onion.
- 11Add the diced cabage leaves, onion, parsley, marjoram, caraway, salt, some pepper and the eggs to the ground meat and mix well.
- 12Divide the meat mixture into six equal portions.
- 13Form each of the portions in the shape of a small meat loaf and wrap in the large cabbage leaves.
- 14Make sure that the meat is completely wrapped with two or three layers of cabbage leaves.
- 15Tie well with thread.
- 16Note: (Thin out the thick vein from the cabbage this way it will be easier to roll the leaves.) Melt lard in frying pan and brown, but do not burn, the Krautwickel on all sides.
- 17Pour fat from frying pan into a roasting pan, add Krautwickel and boiling soup stock.
- 19Place pan across two burners of the stove and simmer slowly for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 20This can also be done in the oven, however if cooked in the oven the krautwickel must be basted from time to time.
- 21Sprinkle lightly with pepper immediately before serving.
- 22Miller's German Cookbook.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Krautwickel: German Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.4
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 164.8 mg
- Sodium 743.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 33.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: