Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a dish that was served at a big, ranch, family Christmas dinner that we were invited to. I would call it glorified scalloped potatoes. The taste is to die for, but definitely not good for the waistline.. The lady of the house being of older generation, naturally did not have specific measurements..for something like this, I don't really have specific measurements either!
- 4 potatoes, peeled and sliced in thin rounds
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (not liquid version)
- 1 cup well drained sauerkraut
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely diced precooked ham
- dumplings (your own recipe)
- Mix all ingredients together, gently so as not to break the dumplings if using them.
- Spray 9x13 casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for approximately 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- To speed this up, I would cook on medium power in microwave for 20 minutes and then add the dumplings for the last 20 minutes in the traditional oven. If not using dumplings, serve with dinner rolls and tossed green salad.
I've never had anything quite like this, it was an interesting change. I left out the dumplings, since they sounded optional. I felt like it needed mushrooms, or peas, or something so I topped it with cheese. Thanks for sharing!
This was very good. What I liked also is that it is a meal all by itself. Thanks for posting.