Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Knackebrot is a hard, cracker-like bread from Germany. Tastes GREAT with cream cheese and syrup or a slice of ham! After spending the summer in Germany, I came back missing this great treat, and decided to find out a way of making it myself. Here's a recipe I found on a German site:
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole grain wheat flour (300g)
- 3 -4 tablespoons sesame seeds (30g)
- 2 tablespoons butter (30g)
- 1 cup milk (250 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Mix and knead all ingredients throughly.
- Spread and roll dough thinly on a greased cookie sheet (only about 1/8th of an inch thick).
- Spread sesame seeds evenly on top of dough, and roll with rolling pin again to make sure seeds stick to the dough.
- Cut into rectangles (about the size of graham crackers), and make holes evenly with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425 F (220 C).
- When done, don't put bread in any closed container, or it will get soft!
I had quite high hopes for this recipe but found that even though I adjusted my oven to a bit lower temp, the crackers burned when I walked away for a few minutes (and they still had several minutes on the timer). I will most likely try them again but use a lower temp and less cooking time. I think they will be fine then. Thanks for posting, Beckers99. Made for PAC 2007.