I love soul food and loved my mother-in-law's mac and cheese so much that I literally sat in the kitchen with her with a pen and paper and wrote down everything she did when she made this for the holidays. This recipe gets rave reviews from all of our family and friends and my kids request it almost daily.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (16 ounce) boxes jumbo pasta shells (we prefer shells) or 2 (16 ounce) boxes elbow macaroni (we prefer shells)
- 1 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 -1 1/2 cup milk
- 0.5 (16 ounce) box cheese crackers, crushed (Better Cheddars or Cheeze-Its)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons season salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Bowl the water in a large pot. Add a splash of olive oil and salt to the water. Preheat oven to 375.
- 2While waiting for water to boil, shred cheese and crush up crackers in separate bowls.
- 3Once water is boiling, add pasta shells. Cook according to package (al dente).
- 4Strain cooked pasta. Run cool water over cooked shells. Drizzle a little olive oil over cooked pasta.
- 5Add cooked pasta to 13x9 baking dish.
- 6Add 2-3 tbsp butter, stir around to coat all shells.
- 7Add crushed cheese crackers, mix.
- 8Add 1 cup milk, mix.
- 9Add most--not all of each type of cheese, mix.
- 10Add 4 eggs, mix.
- 11Add garlic salt, season salt and pepper to taste, mix.
- 12Add more milk as needed. You want it to be the consistency of a thick soup.
- 13Cover with foil and bake in the oven on 375 for 30 minutes.
- 14After 30 minutes, check to see that the cheese is melting nicely. Bake 15 min longer if necessary.
- 15Remove foil, coat mixture with remaining cheese--try to cover all exposed pasta--and bake uncovered for another 15 min or until the cheese on top is golden.
- 16Let cool a little before eating.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for KJ's BOMB Baked Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 674.6
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 148.7 mg
- Sodium 1107.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: