1/3 Photos of Kittencal's Delicious Meaty Pasta Sauce
2 hrs 15 mins
I don't think you will find a better meat sauce than this one! a good tomato sauce needs time to "ripen" so I strongly suggest to make this sauce a few day ahead and refrigerate just warm in a saucepan before using you will see that the flavors strongly intensify after refrigeration time --if you want a creamy sauce just add in 1/4 cup or more of heavy whipping cream the last 30 minutes of cooking time, this may be doubled if desired but keep the ground beef amount at one pound, this also freezes well... you will *love* this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup olive oil (or use enough sauce to coat the bottom of your skillet)
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped tablespoons (or to taste, I like lots of garlic!)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups good-quality beef broth
- 3/4 lb button mushroom (or use a couple cans whole drained mushrooms, but fresh is better!)
- 1 -2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste a good tomato sauce needs lots of salt)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a Dutch oven heat oil, then add in the basil, oregano, chili flakes, bay leaf and onion; saute, stirring with a wooden spoon for about 4 minutes (this will release the flavors in the spices).
- 2Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- 3Add in tomato paste and cook stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- 4Add in ground beef and sausage meat; cook until well browned (about 10 minutes) drain any fat.
- 5Add in the wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- 6Add in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, mushrooms, sugar, 2 tablespoons salt, Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered for about 2 hours (or you can simmer for longer on low heat).
- 7Season with black pepper.
- 8Remove the bay leaf and serve over hot cooked pasta then sprinkle with lots grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Delicious Meaty Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.8
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 70.7 mg
- Sodium 2525.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 29.2 g