1/2 Photos of Kittencal's Better Than Take-Out! Deli-Style Rotisserie Chicken
This is even better than the whole chickens that you purchase at the deli, I have made this many times on my indoor and outdoor rotisserie --- this is one recipe I use margarine the butter tends to burn when cooking, you could also use 1/2 cup oil if desired and omit the margarine, I find that it is best to use 1/4 cup of of each --- I strongly advise you to make two chickens you will be eating one chicken just yourself these are THAT delicious, I always make two sometimes even three! ---this also works well using a large 6-7 pound roasting chicken, or a smaller size turkey, make certain that your turkey is completely thawed before cooking, cooking time will need to be increased for a larger chicken or a small turkey ---another way I have done this chicken is to rub 2 teaspoons seasoned salt all over the chicken and sprinkle inside the cavity as well, place the chicken a shallow dish, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours, prepare the oil/margarine mixture as stated only omit the seasoned salt in it. You will love this! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) whole chickens (or a small turkey)
- 1/4 cup margarine (use hard stick margarine only not soft tub)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (use lime juice only, not lemon juice)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt (more for inside of cavity)
- black pepper
- 1 small whole lemon (optional but good to use)
- 1In a saucepan combine oil, margarine, honey, lime juice, garlic powder, paprika and seasoned salt over medium-low heat, stirring until honey is melted; cool slightly.
- 2Wash chicken then dry with paper towels.
- 3Season the inside of the chicken cavity with seasoned salt (any amount desired).
- 4Poke holes all over the lemon then place inside the cavity.
- 5Using a pastry brush, brush the oil/margarine mixture liberally all over the outside of the chicken (save the remaining oil mixture to baste the chicken while cooking).
- 6Prepare the chicken for the spit by securing together with heavy string if needed.
- 7Place the chicken on rotisserie rod and secure tightly.
- 8Sprinkle with black pepper if desired.
- 9Cook at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until cooked through, basting with the oil/butter mixture while the chicken is cooking (cooking time will vary depending on the size of your chicken or turkey).
- 10When the chicken has finished cooking, wrap completely in foil and let sit for about 20 minutes before serving (this is an important step to lock in the juices!).
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Better Than Take-Out! Deli-Style Rotisserie Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (1242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3251.8
- Calories from Fat 2364
- Total Fat 262.7 g
- Saturated Fat 62.9 g
- Cholesterol 748.6 mg
- Sodium 1233.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 177.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt