Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Cooking with Beans, Grains, Pulses and Legumes."
- 1⁄4 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 4 cloves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and quartered
- Put the lentils in a pan, add the bay leaf and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, skim off any foam, then reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until tender. Drain, then discard the leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice with cloves and a pinch of salt.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over gentle heat, then add the curry and chili powders and cook for 1 minute
- Stir in the lentils and rice and mix until they are coated in the spiced butter. Season and cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Stir in the parsley and serve topped with eggs.