Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very old chili recipe - one I've been making since I was a teenager. You can add additional beans if you have them (sometimes I add black beans or whatever suits me).
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cans pork and beans, do not drain
- 2 cans red kidney beans, do not drain
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 bottle chili powder
- green peppercorn
- 1 can chopped green chili
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Brown the ground beef in a dutch oven with about 1/2 bottle chili powder.
- Add to this the can of chiles, the crushed tomatoes and the tomatoe sauce (rinse out the tomatoe cans with about 1/3 can of water and add this as well).
- Simmer for about 5 minutes to blend and then dump in all four cans of undrained beans.
- Next, stir in the cocoa powder and simmer for another 5 or 10 minutes.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of salt and some freshly ground green peppercorns.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper and chili powder if needed.
- Simmer for about an hour and serve.