Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious finish to your Thanksgiving feast!
Make and share this Kick Butt Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
For the crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
For the Pie
- 4 -5 apples, Peeled and Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- salt, a couple shakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- To make the dough, you'll want to add your flour and salt to a bowl. Now cut up your butter into small squares and add it into the flour, a few squares at a time, using either a fork or a pastry blender.
- Add in the water and mix it up to form a dough.
- Stick the dough in the fridge to chill and let's start working on the filling.
- Grab up your brown sugar, butter, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, almond extract, flour, cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg and dump them into a small pot.
- Turn your heat to medium and let the mixture cook up. When it reaches boiling, remove it from the heat and set aside.
- Pull your dough back out and cut it into two equal pieces. Roll the first piece out to fit your pie pan and lay it inside.
- Cut off the excess and crimp your crust all pretty like.
- Now add in your apples.
- Now it's time to roll out your second piece of dough. Roll it out to the size of your pie top. Grab a pizza cutter and cut about 14-16 1/2" strips from the dough.
- Lattice up your pie.
- The last step is to take your sauce and carefully pour it over the top of the pie.
- Now pop your pie in the oven at 375 for 40 minutes. You might want to put another pan under your pie as well to catch any drippings.