Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a Persian dish made with eggplant and beef in a tomato based sauce. The stew is eaten poured over steamed basmati rice.It's very delicious and my favorite Persian dish to make! Check out my page for the recipe on how to make basmati rice.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup yellow split peas (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil
- First peel your eggplant and slice it into large but not to thick of pieces. Fill a large bowl with water and about 1/4 a cup of salt. Next add your eggplant in the bowl and place something heavy over the bowl to keep your eggplant submerged under. This will help take the bitter taste out of it before you fry it. Let sit for about 20 mins then rinse off your pieces.
- Chop onion into small pieces and fry your onion in olive oil on medium until it becomes soft and translucent. Add your meat with the onion and fry on medium, just browning it.
- Once you've browned your meat add your tumeric, garlic, cinnamon,lemon juice, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and yellow split peas. Add about 2 or 3 cups of water and stir well. Your water will evaporate some so just keep checking to see if its looking low.
- Bring your pot to a boil and once its boiling reduce heat to a medium low. I usually let it cook for a few hours on a low heat and I know when it's done because the meat is tender and just breaks apart with your fork. Ill say to let it cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on low. Just use your judgement.
- In a frying pan add a little olive oil, enough to coat the pan. Take out your eggplant and rinse the salt off, we will re-salt it while its frying.
- Over a medium- high heat fry your eggplant pieces and salt them and pepper them if you like. Once they're finished frying and are soft, place them on a paper towel so you drain some of that olive oil from them. Then place them in the pot with your khoresht.
- Slice your tomatoes in half and place them in your stew, let the tomatoes and eggplant cook an extra 20 mins once you put them in the stew so the flavors can soak inches.
- Once finished, pour your yummy khoresht e bademjan over some steamed basmati rice and serve!