Recipe by That is Dr House to you
From his very nice cookbook. This is for use with the Light meat and with the dark meat Seitan recipes.
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten or 2 cups high gluten flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons unrefined unbleached cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl combine all except water and toss to mix.
- Add the water and knead dough until liquid is absorbed and dough is firm and springy about 5 minutes. Continue to knead for 2 to 3 minutes longer until dough gets tight and flavors firmly incorporate.
- IF you are using a recipe that calls for raw dough such as a roast? stop here and use the other recipe.
- Divide into 3 equal oblong loaves Lay down 3 pieces of cheesecloth 8 to 10 inches long. Now wrap the setian in cheese cloth and tie shut OR don't. If you don't simply put the seitan in the boiling braising liquid as is. Advantage? Less of a pain. Disadvantage? You are going to end up with odd size pieces without much consistancy in size and it will be less firm. Try it both ways. Sometimes you might want the different results for the recipes you are trying out.
- You can make this either Light or Dark meat setian at this point or use another broth you like. There is NO broth specified in this recipe. Use the time for your broth recipe in cooking it. This time is NOT correct because the final step to make it is missing.