Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Rich, moist bar cookies that taste more like a very rich cake! Packed with chocolate chips, raisins, pecans and applesauce! Pure heaven!
- 1⁄2 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 6 -12 ounces chocolate chips (see note below)
- 1⁄2 cup packed raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Note: I have tried both the 6 oz and the 12 oz size bags before--Both work; The 6 oz works perfectly, but when I am BINGING for chocolate I have used the 12 oz size bag instead; (hehe) The 12 oz size makes them VERY chocolately, though, and are just a bit harder to cut due to all that ooey, gooey chocolate!
- Either way, you can't go wrong!
- Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs, beat.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with applesauce.
- (I add half of the flour with the rest of the dry ingredients, then half of the applesauce, then the rest of the flour, then the rest of the applesauce).
- Fold in chips, raisins and pecans.
- Bake in greased 13x9 baking pan or glass dish for 40 minutes at 350°, cool completely, sift powdered sugar over top, cut into bars.
Very very yummy!! I ended up using 8 oz chocolate chips. I also only had to bake for 35 minutes and they were perfectly done. Thanks so much for the recipe Kelly!
Very good and not too sweet! For the applesauce, I just peeled an apple and whipped it up with a little water in my food processor. Thank you, Kelly! Reviewed for ZWT4.
ZWT4: Yum yum!! Simple, easy and oh so yummy!!!