Recipe by Karrie Massotti
Ever since I made this the first time it has become a requirement of me for all get togethers. I think there would be a revolt if I didn't bring it and it is the easiest dish in the world to make.
Top Review by Bayhill
We really enjoyed this delicious roast. I loved the ease of preparation and how quickly it goes together in the crock pot. I think that my crock pot must cook hotter than normal because after 17 hours of cooking on "low" I had to turn it down to "warm". Despite flipping the roast over every couple of hours, the roast was turning black on the surface and the liquid in the crock pot started to burn. I removed the roast from the crock pot after 20 hours. The flavor of the roast was delicious and the interior was moist. I would definitely try this recipe again, however, for my crock pot I would start cooking it on "low" and then halfway through the cooking time I would turn it to "warm". Thank you for sharing this unique, quick and easy way to prepare a roast.
**Made for PAC Fall 2012**
- 2 -3 lbs beef roast (frozen)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces beef stew seasoning (1 envelope)
Directions See How It's Made
- You need to start with a frozen roast. The ice crystals that form during freezing are key to both the moisture that is created to cook the roast and also help puncture the membranes of the meat making it tender.
- Take frozen roast out of freezer and put into crock pot.
- Sprinkle package of beef stew seasoning all over roast (like a rub).
- Cook on low in crock pot for 20 - 24 hours. Do not cheat on this, the slow and low time is what makes this so much better than other roasts.
- After about 1 hour the roast will start to defrost in crock pot and water will come out of frozen roast. Use this to baste the top of the roast to spread the seasonings.
- Flip roast every few hours to ensure each side is under the fluid and no sides end up too crusty and seasonings are distributed.
- When done, the beef will look almost shredded.
- Note: This is GREAT served as is for a main course along potatoes and veggies, but also makes wonderful sandwiches, can be used as meat for enchiladas or tacos etc.