This is delicious on an appetizer or cheese tray, or a nice addition to top a Greek salad. NOTE: this requires one week marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean squid (see directions at bottom of instructions). Cut squid into 3/8 inch rings.
- 2Place 8 cups water, salt and ONE bay leaf in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and add the calamari. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and dry well.
- 3Pack the squid rings in a clean dry 2 cup jar with a sealing lid. Add the oregano, peppercorns, coriander seeds, chili and remaining bay leaves.
- 4Cover completely with the vinegar then gently pour in enough olive oil to cover by 3/4 inch. Seal and refrigerate for one week.
- 5When ready to serve, remove from the marinade, place on a serving dish and garnish with lemon wedges and chopped fresh parsley.
- 6TO CLEAN A JAR: wash the jar and lid in hot soapy water, rinse well in hot water and then dry in a very slow 250F oven for 20 minutes. Do not use a towel to dry the jar.
- 7TO CLEAN SQUID: Grasp each squid body in one hand and the head and tentacles in the other. Pull apart to separate them. Cut the tentacles from the head by cutting below the eyes. Discard the head. Push out the beak and discard. Pull the quill from inside the body and discard. Under cold running water, pull away the skin. You can use the flaps.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kalamaria Toursi (Pickled Calamari)
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.0
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 264.6 mg
- Sodium 631.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 17.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns
white wine vinegar