Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
I love the peppy-salty seasoning on this wonderful snack or party nibble, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that fried cashews are not greasy at all. I don't know if this is authentic to the recipe, but I also like to let the finished nuts cool just a bit then toss them in a bag with some garlic salt before serving.
- 8 ounces cashews
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika (I like to use the hot paprika!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- garlic salt
- Combine the cashews, paprika, turmeric, salt and water together in a bowl and let stand for 1 hour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet and fry the cashews until they're browned evenly.
- Remove from the oil, drain on paper towels and let cool slightly.
- In a plastic zipper bag, combine the chili powder and garlic salt to taste; toss the nuts around in the mixture and serve.
Oh my goodness! I wish I could give this more than 5 stars! I used almonds instead of cashews. I ended up letting them sit on the counter for a few hours before I got to frying them though. When I did I only used 1/6 c. of oil, and still thought I could have gotten by with less. When they were done, I scooped them out onto a paper towel, then immediately dumped them into a small paper bag and tossed in 1 tsp. chili powder (Chili Powder), 1/2 tsp. garlic granules, and 1 tsp. of smoked sea salt, and I shook the whole thing. This not only absorbed some of the oil, but also distributed the seasonings well. Then, I dumped them out onto a piece of foil on the counter to cool. I would have used a cookie sheet, but I had a small piece of foil left from something I made earlier. As they are cooling, I find it hard not to keep going back and taking a few! They are so good! I only wish I would have made a double batch!
excellent treat for the family! thanx for posting.
Great method for making spiced nuts! I usually find in other methods, that more than half the spices and salt fall off the nuts, but with this method, most of it stayed on. And we love cashews.