Prep 8 hrs
Cook 6 mins
Found online; posteing for ZWT6 (NA*ME/Lebanon). Recipe states: "As well as making great snacks, Kadami can be added to salads, steamed grains and stir fries for a welcome crunchy texture, on top of the added virtue of bean protein. When thoroughly roasted the peas should taste cooked, nutty and potato-like, not raw. Overcooked they become hard and burned. Because the peas are slightly moist inside, any not eaten the same day should be stored refrigerated".
- Rinse dry chick peas and cover with water. Allow to soak overnight or at least 8 hours. Drain peas.
- Roast at medium low heat in a large skillet or home style coffee bean roaster, stirring constantly about 25 minutes for regular size chick peas, 15 to 20 minutes for the small ones.
- Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast about 30 minutes at 350 degrees F for regular size chick peas, 20 minutes for the small ones. MICROWAVE:
- Put on microwave safe dish in a single layer. Microwave on high (100 percent power). Depending on size of chick peas and your oven, microwaving takes 2 to 6 minutes. Taste to check for doneness.
- For flavored roasted chick pea snacks add salt or a small amount of any of the following mixtures to the hot roasted peas immediately upon removing them from heat. The flavoring liquid needs to absorb into, or dry onto the peas -- you don't want the peas sitting in pools of liquid. Toss frequently as they cool and serve immediately, or refrigerate for later use.
- Olive oil, garlic salt, black pepper and clipped rosemary leaves.
- Soy sauce alone or mixed with Oriental (dark) sesame oil and hot chili powder.
- Tomato juice and curry powder.
I tried all 3 kinds of them and all were very nice. The winner was the curry version.
We enjoyed it very much and we had fun. We'll do it again!
Thanks for posting the recipe
These were pretty good! I made them in an iron skillet and flavored them with lime juice and chili powder. You do need to make sure the chickpeas are very well drained and dried before roasting because the ones that were "wetter" took much longer to get nice and crispy. We all enjoyed them very much. Thank you :) Made for Swizzle Chicks and ZWT6.