Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted for ZWT6. Great way to use up puff pastry! Very basic, but can be jazzed up. See end of instructions for ideas. Note: Amounts of ingredients and therefore servings will vary depending on how much puff pastry you have, so entered 4 for Zaar purposes.
- premade puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- aged gouda cheese or parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Take the puff pastry out of the freezer and allow to thaw for 10 minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
- Scatter the grated cheese over the pastry and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut into strips of approximately 1/2"-3/4" by about 6". Now twist the ends of the pastry strips in opposite directions to create a spiral effect.
- Place on the cookie sheet, leaving 1/4" between them
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Variation ideas:.
- Add your favorite herbs, such as freshly chopped thyme or rosemary.
- Try adding dried chili-, onion- or garlic flakes for some more punch.
- Add texture and flavor with sesame-, poppy-, caraway or cumin seeds.
- Made a sweet treat, with sugar & cinnamon or chocolate sprinkles (leaving out the cheese and salt & pepper).
I made this quick and easy treat for my dh; because there are just two of us at home, I used 1/2 of 1 sheet and got a yeild of 8 straws. They were perfect, golden, puffy and full of flavor. I used coarse sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and parmigana reggano...so good. Thank you for sharing your recipe, which we will enjoy again.
I, like another reviewer, used 1/2 of a package of pre-made puff pastry. My portion was 9 X 9, so my 'stems' were 9 inches; I did slice in 3/4 inch slices, and my yield was 13. I sprinkled with grated parmigiano-reggiano, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. They baked for 18 minutes, and were done and lovely! They would be awesome as nibbles, with cocktails! Thanks for sharing, The Wallaces!
What could be easier? I used a half box of puff pastry and ended up with 6 nice sized twists. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT6~ Germany.