1/4 Photos of Kaasstengels (Dutch Cheese Stems)
The Wallaces's Note:
Posted for ZWT6. Great way to use up puff pastry! Very basic, but can be jazzed up. See end of instructions for ideas. Note: Amounts of ingredients and therefore servings will vary depending on how much puff pastry you have, so entered 4 for Zaar purposes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2Take the puff pastry out of the freezer and allow to thaw for 10 minutes.
- 3Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- 4Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
- 5Scatter the grated cheese over the pastry and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Cut into strips of approximately 1/2"-3/4" by about 6". Now twist the ends of the pastry strips in opposite directions to create a spiral effect.
- 7Place on the cookie sheet, leaving 1/4" between them
- 8Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Variation ideas:.
- 10Add your favorite herbs, such as freshly chopped thyme or rosemary.
- 11Try adding dried chili-, onion- or garlic flakes for some more punch.
- 12Add texture and flavor with sesame-, poppy-, caraway or cumin seeds.
- 13Made a sweet treat, with sugar & cinnamon or chocolate sprinkles (leaving out the cheese and salt & pepper).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kaasstengels (Dutch Cheese Stems)
Serving Size: 1 (12 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 17.8
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 17.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.5 g