Recipe by Mirj
A very filling and exciting salad, good for main course or as a side dish or appetizer.
Top Review by Lt. Amy
Interesting, that was my boyfriends comment on this meal. I thought the flavor for the dressing was good, and liked the veggies as well. However, the potato seemed a little out of place. Also, I baked the tofu rather than frying it. I find that baking it makes it a little easier to get browned.
Ingredients for the Salad
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 small potatoes, boiled and cut into bite-sized wedges
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach, cleaned,steamed,and chopped
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, shredded and lightly steamed
- 1⁄2 lb mung bean sprouts, washed thoroughly
Ingredients for the Dressing
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts
- 5 teaspoons soy sauce or 5 teaspoons tamari
- 3 tablespoons lime juice or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and salt in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the tofu in small batches and saute until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Arrange the tofu, potatoes, spinach, and cabbage on six separate plates.
- Prepare the dressing by placing all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth.
- If the dressing seems too thick, add another teaspoonful of water.
- Top the tofu and vegetables with the bean sprouts and dressing, and serve immediately.