Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
These are tasty little bites to munch on!! From Southern Living (1985), they have been staples around our house during the holidays and have now made their way into summertime entertaining - we enjoy with chilled chardonnay, pinot noir and even some merlots. If the dough seems too crumbly to form around dates, just add a drop or two of water and mix well until the dough holds together.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- 25 dates, pitted
- Combine butter and cheese: beat until smooth. Combine flour, pepper and paprika. Add to cheese mixture, mixing well.
- Cut dates in half crosswise; wrap each half with dough.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Batke at 400 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
The dough was crumbly & hard to deal with, so I think I had too much per date making fewer, but they were still good & an interesting change for an appetizer ieda. Thanks for posting.