Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the original quiche, which was more of a custard, without cheese. It is so rich it will wow your guests! In the original recipe the bacon is boiled for 5 minutes (to remove the smoke flavor) then drained and cooked crisp about 3 minutes --no need to do this if you don't have the time!
- 3 -4 ounces lean bacon
- 9 in. unbaked pastry shells
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter, cut into pea-sized dots
- Preheat oven to 375°F Bake pie crust for 5 minutes, so that it is partially cooked.
- Brown bacon in a skillet. Drain on paper towels. Press pieces into bottom of pastry shell.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, cream, and seasonings until blended. Check seasonings. Pour into pastry shell; dot top with butter.
- Set in upper third of preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the quiche has puffed and browned.