Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Craving carbs? Try this whole-grain dish that Bethenny Frankel created for Jill Zarin, one of her fellow cast members on Bravo's The Real Housewives of New York City. Because whole-grain varieties have more fiber than regular pasta, you'll feel fuller faster and you'll eat less now and later. Plus, the mushrooms provide a delicious flavor and meaty texture (not to mention health-boosting antioxidants) without all the saturated fat. Jill was skeptical about the hearty ingredients, Bethenny says, but this earthy recipe turned her into a fiber convert.
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta (I prefer Smart Pasta)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 1⁄2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced (any blend of your favourites)
- 1 lb baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons truffle oil
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add garlic salt to water, and cook pasta according to directions.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick pan; sauté shallot. Add all mushrooms, and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until brown; turn to brown on opposite side for another 5 to 6 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Drain pasta. Toss in a large bowl with mushroom mixture. Add the truffle oil, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and remaining salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Top with Parmesan and parsley; serve hot.