Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
"What exit?" This recipe comes from a cookbook called "Eat! Enjoy! The 101 Best Jewish Recipes in America". The woman who contributed it hails from West Patterson, NJ.
- 3 lbs beef brisket, 4 lb. okay too
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup blackberry wine, kosher
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees,.
- Place meat in roasting pan.
- Combine ketchup, brown sugar, onion soup mix, water, and blackberry wine, mixing together well.
- Spoon over brisket in pan.
- Cover and bake for approximately 1 hour for each pound of meat.
- After baking 2 hours, remove from the oven and slice the meat.
- Return sliced meat to the pan and continue to bake until done.
Great flavor. I have been instructed by the whole family to make this again and often. I doubled the sauce to have extra for the egg noodles I served on the side. I also served cauliflower. Would also be good with mashed white potatoes, rice, or something similar to soak up the yummy gravy. Veggie wise, I'd go with the cauliflower again or broccoli, carrots, green beans, snap beans, snow peas, english peas, asparagus...nothing with a sauce or gravy tho, simply steam and toss with oil or margarine if you this you need it. This was a great shabbat dinner which I will be making again. Thanks for posting!