Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I think I found a winner in my quest for a festive and kid-friendly dessert for the Fourth of July! This is from the Kraft website.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 (3 ounce) package berry blue gelatin mix
- 1 cup ice cube, divided
- 6 ounces graham cracker pie crust
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin (or any flavor red Jello)
- 1 cup whipped topping, thawed
- Stir 3/4 cup of the boiling water into dry blue gelatin at least 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. Add 1/2 cup of the ice cubes; stir until ice is completely melted. Pour into pie crust; refrigerate 5 to 10 minutes or until gelatin is set but not firm.
- Meanwhile, stir remaining 3/4 cup boiling water into dry red gelatin in separate bowl at least 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. Add remaining 1/2 cup ice cubes; stir until ice is completely melted. Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Spread whipped topping evenly over blue gelatin layer in crust; cover with layer of red gelatin. Refrigerate 2 hours or until set. Store leftover pie in refrigerator.
I also used this recipe from the Kraft website. It was quick, easy and very tasty. Just a note, make sure you let the red gelatin cool completely. I gave mine between 10 and 15 minutes to cool and spoon it onto the pie, otherwise it sinks through the cool whip.