Recipe by Gail Stines
Found this recipe in the Food Section in the Chronicle newspaper quite awhile ago. This dish is supposedly adapted from "Omelettes, Souffles & Frittatas", (Chronicle Books 1999). NOTE: I always make this omelet with Ham instead of Proscuitto, and always, always use Gruyere cheese. Very easy dish to prepare, and tastes wonderful.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground white pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 -1 1⁄2 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded jarlsberg cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups shredded gruyere cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 3-cup baking dish, about 6 inches in diameter.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until just blended.
- Beat in the milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, prosciutto and cheese.
- Pour into the baking dish, drizzle melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes , or until set and lightly browned.