Recipe by ScrappieDoo
Wonderful cheesy flavor with a slight kick from the jalapenos. The pimiento and jalapenos add a nice color contrast to the pale orange sauce. Use your discretion with the amount of jalapenos. You can also sub 1/8-1/4 cup chopped hot mixed peppers. It's best to use a waxy potato so they will keep their shape.
Top Review by Noo
I love jalapenos and cheese,so I was always going to like this recipe. I loved how quickly the sauce came together too...and the fact that it didn't need butter like a conventional white/cheese sauce A very simple dish with a great twist...yum!! Thanks Scrappie!! Made for PRMR.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (4 ounce) can jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimiento, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook whole potatoes in water in a large saucepan for 15 to 18 minutes until just tender. Drain and cool enough to handle. Peel (if desired) and slice thinly. Place in large bowl.
- Meanwhile, pour milk into a medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder until smooth. Heat over medium heat and stir until boiling and thickened.
- Add cheese and jalapenos. Stir to melt cheese.
- Add cheese sauce and pimiento to cut potatoes. Turn into greased 2 quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350F oven for about 30 minutes until potato is tender.