1/1 Photo of Jacques Pepin's Potatoes Fondantes
Chef Lyle's Note:
The credit for this recipe goes to Chef Jacques Pepin, thus the name of this dish and is a little tast of heaven. A nonstick skillet is crucial so the potatoes don't stick to the pan as the liquid evaporates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (20 to 25 potatoes,11/2 to 13/4 inches in diameter)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (less if the broth is salty)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh chives, thinly sliced
- fleur de sel (optional) or coarse sea salt, for serving (optional)
- 1Trim the potatoes of any eyes or damaged areas and wash well in cold water.
- 2Arrange as many potatoes as will fit in one layer in a 10-inch nonstick skillet (there should be a little room to spare; save any extra potatoes for another use).
- 3Add the rosemary, broth, oil, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan but leave the lid a tad ajar, and boil until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. The liquid should still halfway surround the potatoes; if it doesn't, add more broth or water until it does.
- 4Remove the pan from the heat and press on each potato with a fork or 1/4-cup measure just until it cracks open. (do not press too hard) Set the pan over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, until all the liquid has evaporated and the potatoes have browned on one side, about 10 minutes.
- 5Gently turn the potatoes and brown the other side, another 4 to 5 minutes.
- 6Remove the pan from the heat and let the potatoes rest for 5 minutes before transferring them to a serving platter.
- 7Sprinkle with the chives and serve immediately, passing the fleur de sel so diners can sprinkle some on if they want.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jacques Pepin's Potatoes Fondantes
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.0
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 481.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: