Recipe by Chef Lyle
The credit for this recipe goes to Chef Jacques Pepin, thus the name of this dish and is a little tast of heaven. A nonstick skillet is crucial so the potatoes don't stick to the pan as the liquid evaporates.
Top Review by MichelleAnne1
These were easy to throw together for dinner! I used a 1.5lb bag of mini PC potatoes and they fit into my skillet perfectly! Very tasty, the only change was to use salted butter - I rarely have un salted on -hand.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (20 to 25 potatoes,11/2 to 13/4 inches in diameter)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (less if the broth is salty)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh chives, thinly sliced
- fleur de sel (optional) or coarse sea salt, for serving (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the potatoes of any eyes or damaged areas and wash well in cold water.
- Arrange as many potatoes as will fit in one layer in a 10-inch nonstick skillet (there should be a little room to spare; save any extra potatoes for another use).
- Add the rosemary, broth, oil, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan but leave the lid a tad ajar, and boil until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. The liquid should still halfway surround the potatoes; if it doesn't, add more broth or water until it does.
- Remove the pan from the heat and press on each potato with a fork or 1/4-cup measure just until it cracks open. (do not press too hard) Set the pan over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, until all the liquid has evaporated and the potatoes have browned on one side, about 10 minutes.
- Gently turn the potatoes and brown the other side, another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the potatoes rest for 5 minutes before transferring them to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with the chives and serve immediately, passing the fleur de sel so diners can sprinkle some on if they want.