Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just a little something I threw together one night when I had a craving for something Italian, but healthy. This recipe makes a healthy portion, but its just as good the next day! You can increase the tomatoes, zucchini and beans if you don't want the turkey, or just to have more vegetables. Its easy to adjust as you want.
- 2 cups whole wheat penne, cooked and drained
- 1 (20 ounce) Italian turkey sausage, browned
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (red or white)
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- Boil, cook and drain pasta.
- Brown turkey in a large pan till mostly brown then add tomatoes, beans, and pepper flakes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in parmesan.
- Spray a oven safe 9x13 inch dish with cooking spray and place half the cooked pasta in the bottom. Add half the turkey mixture on top of the pasta and then half of the mozzarella on top of that. Layer the rest in the same fashion. Put into a 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 min, till cheese is melted and browned.