This is a wonderful soup for a cold winter day. Very hearty and delicious! Plus it's very nutritious too. Feel free to use fresh herbs is you have them on hand, just increase the amount.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 8 large tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 carrots, scraped and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3⁄4 cup Burgundy wine
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Brown the sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles; drain.
- Add the olive oil and onion. Cook over medium heat until the onion is getting tender. Add the garlic and continue to cook until tender.
- Add eggplant, cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add the tomato and the next 8 ingredients (up to the oregano leaves, stopping before the wine); bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, for 2 hours. (Stir occasionally).
- Stir in wine, macaroni, and pepper; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until the pasta is done.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with grated Parmesan cheese.