1/2 Photos of Italian Sausage and Eggplant Soup
3 hrs 20 mins
This is a wonderful soup for a cold winter day. Very hearty and delicious! Plus it's very nutritious too. Feel free to use fresh herbs is you have them on hand, just increase the amount.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 8 large tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 carrots, scraped and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 cup Burgundy wine
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1Brown the sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles; drain.
- 2Add the olive oil and onion. Cook over medium heat until the onion is getting tender. Add the garlic and continue to cook until tender.
- 3Add eggplant, cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add the tomato and the next 8 ingredients (up to the oregano leaves, stopping before the wine); bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, for 2 hours. (Stir occasionally).
- 4Stir in wine, macaroni, and pepper; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until the pasta is done.
- 5Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage and Eggplant Soup
Serving Size: 1 (4894 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.9
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 14.3 mg
- Sodium 652.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 8.2 g