Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had some fresh zucchini I needed to use up and found this recipe in the2008 Better Homes and Gardens Annual Recipes.This is a nice change from the red-sauced pasta bakes.Mild or hot Italian sausage can be used. The Italian dressing is a nice flavorful tang in the background flavor of the dish .
- 1 1⁄3 lbs Italian sausages, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package shell macaroni (medium-size)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large skillet cook sausage in hot oil until no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Drain in colander.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions;drain over sausage in colander.
- In large bowl, combine salad dressing, soup, sour cream, 1 cup of the cheese, flour and garlic.
- Stir in squash and sausage/pasta mixture.
- Pour into 3-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 25 minute.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake 5 minute more or until hot and bubbly.
This recipe is okay. I used chicken sausage and zucchini I had frozen during the summer bounty. It was too salty (due to the soup, I think) and heavy for my taste. It also needed more time to bake than listed. I probably won't make this again for my family, but it would be an easy 1-dish meal to bring to a potluck! It has the feeling of comfort food.