Recipe by MommyMakes
I LOVE the Italian Nachos at Johnny Carino's. This is a recipe I am working on to get my fix at home.
Top Review by AQueen
Wow! I fried the wontons just because I was Leary of baking them. Now that I know these are "spot on" per DH I will try baking next time. Delicious and sure to save on our weekly trip to Carinos just for my fix. Just think! We can explore new restaurants in town. Woohoo!
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg white, frothed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 (10 ounce) containerrefrigerated four cheese pasta sauce or 1 (10 ounce) container alfredo sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers (more to taste) or 2 tablespoons banana peppers, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut wontons into 4 triangles each and toss lightly in olive oil.
- Cover a cookie sheet with a single layer of wontons. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with oregano or Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 400ºF for 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, heat the sauce, brown the Italian sausage and drain fat.
- On a platter layer the pasta chips, sausage, and sauce. Top with the tomato, onions, olives and peppers. Finish with shredded cheese and red pepper flakes.
- Place in warm oven for 5 minutes to melt cheese and serve.