Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Once I tried this marinara, I couldn't go back. It puts other red sauces to shame! I am always disappointed at Italian restaurants now because I can make it so much better at home! It takes a while to simmer, but is worth every second. The sauce freezes well, so feel free to double the recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄4 tablespoon anise seed
- 1⁄8 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan.
- Add onions - let cook one minute.
- Stir in garlic. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add all tomato products, water, and spices (mushrooms, if desired).
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Lower heat and let simmer about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.