Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans
- For layer cake, use three 9" round pans.
- Place greased paper in bottom of pans.
- Beat sugar, shortening and margarine until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine flour, soda & salt in a separate bowl.
- Add alternately dry ingredients and buttermilk.
- Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, fold into mixture.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Frosting: Beat 1/2 c margarine, 8 oz. cream cheese and 1 tsp vanilla. Add one box confectioners sugar, a little bit at a time, then add 1 tsp vanilla.
Made for PAC Fall 2007. Very good cake recipe. Loaded with flavor. I made it in a 9 x 13 pan. The cream cheese frosting was a good compliment to this cake. I took it over to my son's house and everyone really enjoyed it. Thanks for another good recipe, MK Lady.