Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
These are amazing! When these cook, the balsamic marinade becomes a delicious caramelized coating. Use these nuggets over salads, over rice or to accompany pasta. They make great little finger snacks too. Cooking time does not include marinade time.
- 8 ounces tempeh
For the marinade
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed between fingers
- Cut tempeh into 1/2 inch wide cubes.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a container with a lid, stir to combine.
- Add tempeh, cover and shake well until all pieces are coated.
- Pace in refrigerator for one hour or overnight.
- Shake container every now and again (when you think of it) to coat all pieces. The tempeh will begin to absorb all the marinade.
- When ready to cook, heat a non stick skillet over medium low heat.
- Add tempeh and any liquid and cook for about 10 minutes, turning pieces until they begin to caramelize.
- Serve immediately or keep in a covered container in fridge.
Oh, yum. These are crispy, crunchy, flavorful, deliciousness. I added some korean veggie stir-fry sauce to the marinade(I bought mine at Stop 'n' Shop, I highly reccomend it). These are super simple to make- perfect for a healthy, vegan meal in a time crunch. Loved it!
I thought these were great. Mine were a bit spicy- definitely due to the red pepper flakes. I ended up marinating them for just over 24 hours and I put them on a salad (baby spinach, carrots, tomato, avocado, and sauteed onions & mushrooms. I topped the salad with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil & balsamic and I was set to go. Delicious! Best tempeh recipe I've made!
This was a very easy recipe to make and tasted great! I varied the spices and used oregano and red pepper flakes instead. It was slightly spicy but it was just perfect and really flavorful!