1 hr 16 mins
This is my own recipe done after some experimentation. It's quick and easy using a cake mix and cookies as the starting ingredients to make a truly unique gourmet dessert. The vermouth in the recipe is added to the individual served slices just before serving, allowing you to leave it out on slices served to children ;)
My Private Note
Ten Inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 box duncan hines dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) package nabisco raspberry fig newtons raspberry-filled cookies
- Italian sweet vermouth, chilled (make sure you buy sweet vermouth. There is a big difference in flavour between sweet and dry vermout)
- 1Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2Grease a 10 inch spring form pan.
- 3Prepare cake mix according to package directions (necessary ingredients to prepare mix are included in the above ingredient list), and pour the prepared mix into the greased spring form pan.
- 4Press the Raspberry Newton cookies into the batter on their sides in a circular fashion like the spokes on a wheel about 3/4 to 1 inch in from the side of the pan (the cookie should be covered on all sides with batter, so it should not touch the side of the pan).
- 5The raspberry filling should be facing you not the sky if you placed them in correctly (in other words if the filling is facing upwards then you placed the cookies in on their ends not their sides) Use the entire package of cookies.
- 6If necessary, make a second smaller inner circle of cookies to use them all up.
- 7Being careful not to let the cookies fall down flat on their bottoms (if a few fall don't worry about it, when baked it will make for a more interesting pattern) place in preheated oven and Bake at 350ºF for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 8Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes then remove the outside of the spring form pan and allow to cool the rest of the way completely.
- 9The cooled cake when sliced will have a beautiful pattern in it of red rubies edged in white from the cookies buried in the dark chocolate cake.
- 10To serve Slice, and wet each slice generously with the chilled sweet vermouth.
- 11While the vermouth really makes the flavor of this cake, adding the vermouth separately to each slice allows you to serve the cake without the vermouth to any children present.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Chocolate Ruby Cake
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.7
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 378.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: