Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From June 2012 Vegetarian Times. Sauce can be made in advance, and reheated just before cooking the eggs. For brunch-style meal, serve with a few of these authentic accompaniments: pita bread, whole-grain bread, baguette, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, cottage cheese, goat cheese feta, cream cheese, yogurt, olives, fresh fruit, Zehug (hot pepper relish), Amba (pickled mango), jams and honey.
Top Review by michellebsalazar
I should have submitted a picture, this was so beautiful. Unfortunately we ate it too quickly. Absolutely delicious! Reminds me of Huevos Perricos that my husband's Colombian family eats. I just halved the recipe for the two of us and ate it with toast but was thinking that next time we will toast some pita, add oil and garlic to make it like a garlicky pizza and top with Shakshuka.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped (1 medium onion)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers, diced (1 pepper)
- 3 tablespoons jalapeno chile, chopped (1 chile)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- 4 1⁄2 cups roma tomatoes, diced (8 tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and saute 7-9 minutes.
- Add jalapeno and garlic, and saute 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes and cumin, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 6-8 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Stir in tomato paste, and cook 1 minute more.
- EGGS IN SALSA:.
- Reduce heat to low. Make 4 cavities in mixture with wooden spoon. Break 1 egg into small dish, and slip into cavity. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Cover and cook 8-10 minutes, or until egg whites are set.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if using. Serve immediately.