Recipe by msoders
My modifications to #116054. The Israeli couscous really makes this a wonderful salad. A small round pasta such as Pearl Pasta can also be substituted. Can be served right away, but best if refrigerated for a few hours. Great for using up tomatoes and basil from the garden. If using larger tomatoes, dice and drain prior to mixing.
Top Review by Ilysse
Wonderful, everyone loved it! I did make a few changed. I doubled the recipe (and glad I did because it went fast) and used 1 1/2 blocks of Mozzarella cheese, diced. I also used 2 15oz +/- cans of rosted tomatoes because the fresh are out of season and not yummy. I didn't have baslsamic vinegar on hand (thought I did) so I used white balsamic vinegar. It has a lighter taste so I used equal amounts of vin and oil. I look forward to trying the other vinegar. In order to get a really nice burst of flavor I decided to chill the mozzarella mixture like you said but toss it with fresh, hot israeli couscous (I have a few pasta dishes I do this with). Just b4 tossing in the couscous I added a few handfuls of arugula to the mozzarella and tomatoes. After tossing it all together I let it sit for a few minutes while I cleaned up the kitchen (an easy task with this dish) to allow the flavors to meld. Everyone loved it and I'll be making it again. Thanks for posting!
- 2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) containerfresh perline mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
- 1 (8 ounce) box israeli couscous
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- basil leaves, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve cherry tomatoes.
- In a large bowl combine the tomato, mozzarella, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic, toss well then refrigerate, covered, to marinate for 30 minutes
- Cook couscous according to directions.
- Rinse Couscous with cold water until cool.
- Toss Couscous and Basil with tomato and mozzarella mixture.
- Garnish with whole basil leaves serve.